Monday, November 10, 2008

11/10/08

Excerpt from 6th grade text book

3. Listen to the dialogues and and pay close attention to the intonation.
3a. Now listen again and repeat.
3b. Translate the dialogues. Use your glossary.

I. Emil and Araz are talking
-It isn’t easy to make friends,Araz.
-It is not for me. I’m a good mixer.
-Really? Do you have many friends?
-Yes. Some are my schoolmates and visitors to our country. They live here with their parents.
-How did you get to know them?
-I met them at parties, at the stadium, during summer camps and in our playground.
-Are they all foreigners?
-No. Some of them are.
-What languages do you speak with them?
-Azeri, English and Russian.
-Oh, you know many languages.
-Not so many. But I’m going to learn French.
-That’s great.

How many languages do you know?
Are you a good mixer?


“Are you a good mixer, Gizbast?”
“No,” she pauses, considers her potential. “No, I don’t think. Sasha, are you a good mixer?”
“I don’t really know what a mixer is, Gizbast.”
“I think it is to have some friends, to approach people well.”
“No, I don’t think so.”
“Also, a singer is mixer.”
“Oh, a DJ!”
“Yes, I have seen on television.”
“Yeah, MTV Turkey. Many good mixers there.”
“Yes, they are mixing well.”

No comments: